MSc Human Resource Management and Industrial RelationsUniversity of Manchester
Precio a consultar
- Manchester (Inglaterra)
¿Qué aprendes en este curso?
Skills and Training
Watch Course Director Arjan Keizer talk about the course >>
Course module details >>
People are at the heart of any organisation, so the ability to manage and develop employees, ensure their welfare and understand changing employment legislation is essential to business survival. The course aims to produce well-rounded human resources practitioners with exemplary knowledge and relevant hands-on experience.
Accredited by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD), the course is designed to -
- Develop a critical appreciation of the theoretical foundations and empirical practice of HRM and IR
- Expose you to a wide variety of organisational practices by use of teaching materials based on high quality contemporary research conducted by lecturers and their own research for an independent individual dissertation
- Enable you to develop practical skills in the subject area to equip you for a career in or further study of the HR/IR field and gives you a grounding in research methods which you can apply appropriately either in the business world or in academic research
- Provide you with the opportunity to gain graduate membership of the CIPD (Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development) which is extremely advantageous in securing a career in HRM.
You have the opportunity to attend skills development workshops run by expert HR practitioners to acquire practical HR skills, to attend a live employment tribunal case, and to undertake a group project in an organisation to develop teamworking and practical HR and research skills.
CIPD Course recognition
This course is approved to the new equivalent advanced level postgraduate standard and you can enhance your studies by taking additional CIPD components that prepare you for CIPD membership. If you decide to do so, you can attend a series of skills workshops, hear from guest speakers, and complete a range of activities enabling you to develop practical HR skills.
You will join CIPD as a student member and on passing all of the modules of the Masters degree (including the dissertation) and the CIPD components, your CIPD membership will be automatically updated to Associate Member. Once you have applied your knowledge in the workplace, you can apply for Chartered membership.
Please note: There is a £450 administrative fee payable to Alliance Manchester Business School on arrival if you choose to register with the CIPD, plus you join the CIPD for two years - the year of your course, and the year of graduation. The current fee to join the CIPD is £178 for the 1st year and £138 for the 2nd year. Visit the CIPD website for further information.
If you are particularly interested in international human resource management and /or comparative industrial relations you might like to consider our MSc International Human Resource Management and Comparative Industrial Relations .Special features
The Business School presents three prizes associated with the CIPD programme. One is for best Portfolio, one for best Management Research Report and one for overall best student. Further details of the prizes will be available during the programme.Course units details
The course consists of both compulsory and optional taught units. Compulsory course units include:
- Human Resource Management: Strategy and Practice
- Multinational and Comparative Employment Systems
- Employment Policy and Practice
- Research Methods for Organisations
- Industrial Relations
- Employment Law
- Human Resource Management: Context and Organisation
Optional course units include:
- Comparative Industrial Relations
- International Labour Law and Regulation
- International Human Resource Management
Assessment across the course units varies, and includes a combination of examinations, essays, course work, assignment, report and group presentations. A dissertation of between 12,000 and 15,000 words is also normally undertaken.Accrediting organisations
This Masters is accredited to the new equivalent advanced level postgraduate standard. You will join CIPD as a student member and on completion of the Masters and CIPD components you will have achieved the underpinning knowledge towards a level of professional membership.
Once you have applied your knowledge in the workplace you will be in a position to apply to CIPD for a membership upgrade. Further details including costs are available from the postgraduate administration team and you can visit the CIPD website .
Students wishing to gain CIPD membership attend a series of skills workshops with guests invited from a wide range of companies, to enable them to develop practical HR skills.Open days
Masters information sessions
We are hosting a series of informal information sessions for undergraduates who are thinking about pursuing a masters course at Alliance Manchester Business School.
Our Masters courses aren't just for business graduates - from business analytics to operations, and marketing to finance, we have 17 courses to choose from. Join us to meet a careers advisor, admissions staff and current students and discover how our courses can boost your career prospects.
Also, a number of graduates have the opportunity to progress directly onto the Full-time MBA programme as a Young Potential Leader - could you be one of them?
Choose from the following dates:
- Wednesday 17 February 2016, 12.00 - 1.30pm
- Wednesday 9 March 2016, 12.00 - 1.30pm
- Wednesday 13 April 2016, 12.00 - 1.30pm
- Wednesday 11 May 2016, 12.00 - 1.30pm
All events are held in the Atrium, Alliance MBS East building (on the corner of Oxford Road and Booth Street East) - number 26 on the campus map.
For further information and to register your interest in attending, please see the Alliance MBS website .
Events round the world
We take part in events both at home and around the world, and we'd be delighted to meet you in your country . If you are visiting Manchester, you are also welcome to organise a personal visit .Disability support
Practical support and advice for current students and applicants is available from the Disability Advisory and Support Service. Email: email@example.com