Speech and Language Therapy bachelorchelor

University of Manchester
En Manchester (Inglaterra)

Precio a consultar

Información importante

  • Bachelor's degree
  • Manchester (Inglaterra)
  • Duración:
    3 Years

Speech and language therapists identify, assess and support the needs of people who have communication, eating, swallowing and drinking disorders. This course has been designed to enable students to develop the core theoretical knowledge and specialist clinical skills required by the speech and language therapy profession as well as providing academic study to meet the aims of a higher education qualification.

The course at The University of Manchester places particular emphasis on scientific thinking, preparing students to incorporate clinical enquiry into their chosen career path. Each student is provided with individual support through an academic advisor on a regular bachelorsis.

All those embachelorrking upon a career as a health care professional, should be aware of the NHS Constitution

, the principles and values of...

Información importante
Instalaciones y fechas

Dónde se imparte y en qué fechas

Inicio Ubicación
10 octubre 2016
Oxford Road, M13 9PL, Greater Manchester, Inglaterra
Ver mapa

¿Qué aprendes en este curso?

English Language
NHS Training
Communication Training

The University warmly welcomes applications from students studying the Key Skills qualification. However, as the opportunities to take these modules are not open to all applicants, currently this is not an essential requirement of the University. 


We welcome you to come and get a feel for what it's like to study at the School of Health Sciences and visit us on one of our open days.

35 points overall with 6,6,5 in Higher Level subjects
A2 A2 A2 B2 B2/A1 A2 B2 B2 B2. A minimum of six subjects is required.
Grades AABBB. A mixture of Arts and Science subjects is an advantage.
Grades ABB are required.
A pass in the Welsh bachelorccalaureate core is acceptable in combination with 2 A Levels.
Acceptable on its own or in combination with other qualifications. Applications from students studying for this qualification are welcome and all such applicants will be considered on an individual bachelorsis. Contact the University for further information.
Extended Diploma:
100 credits at Distinction, 70 at Merit and 10 at Pass

A at A level plus 60 credits at Distinction, 50 at Merit and 10 at Pass

Subsidiary Diploma:
AA at A level plus 50 credits at Merit and 10 at Pass
Applications are considered on an individual bachelorsis, taking into account additional educational achievements, life experience and skills. Please contact the University for further information.
QAA's normal requirements for diploma applicants are 60 (10 hour) credits with 45 at level 3 and the remainder at level 2. We prefer a minimum of 30 credits with distinction and 15 credits with merit. Access students should take modules in Biology, Psychology or English Language if possible. We recommend the Health or Science Pathways as the most appropriate for entry to the course.
Due to the nature of Access to HE diplomas, it is often not possible for an applicant's college to supply a sufficiently detailed reference. Under these circumstances, we may request a supplementary reference to enable us to fully consider your academic ability. Although this could result in us delaying our decision, please be assured that this will not adversely affect your application in any way.
The University welcomes applicants with the AP qualification. Such applications will be considered on an individual bachelorsis.
We welcome the introduction of the level 3 specialised diplomas (guidance regarding progression opportunities and subject and grade requirements will be available soon).
If you have followed a non-standard educational route and have been, for example, educated at home, your application will be considered against the standard entry criteria of the course to which you applied. You will be required to demonstrate that you meet the academic entry requirements as specified for the course. We will also require a reference which should be written by somebody who knows you well enough, in an official capacity, to write about you and your suitability for higher education. Please refer to UCAS for further information: UCAS reference guidelines

Applicants for whom English is not a first language should appreciate that a particularly high standard of spoken and written English is necessary to cope with linguistics, phonetics and clinical work.
IELTS to an overall score to 8.0, with no component less than 7.5. There is a great need for therapists who are fluent in more than one language and graduates with such skills would be a valuable addition to the profession; such candidates are therefore encouraged to apply.
Some English language test results are only valid for two years. Your English language test report must be valid on the start date of the course.
It is not possible for all speech and language therapy service providers to offer work experience for applicants, therefore this is not a requirement. However, some practical experience with individuals who have difficulties with communication, or with eating, drinking and swallowing should be sought.
Application and selection
Applications for this course are made through UCAS

Please refer to our Application process
page for guidance
Please refer to the Application process
page for further guidance on the following:
How to apply
Advice to applicants
How your application is considered
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to interview.
Individual consideration is given to recent academic qualifications or other relevant experience. Preference will be given to applicants who have experience of health-related areas especially in which there is some Anatomy, Physiology and/or Psychology.
To be confirmed.
Health screening

The University of Manchester is mindful of the health of both its students and of the public, with whom healthcare students come into contact on placement. Consequently, if your application is successful, we will require you to comply with a confidential health screening check as advised by the Department of Health. Health screening will be undertaken by the Student Occupational Health Service who will advise on any follow-up vaccination or other intervention which may be indicated.

See Higher Education Occupational Physicians/ Practitioners (HEOPS) Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) Students - Standards of medical fitness to train
[PDF] for more information.
We are mindful of the well-being of both our students and of the public, with whom healthcare students come into contact on placement. Consequently, if your application is successful, we will require you to comply with an Enhanced Disclosure and bachelorrring Service (DBS) check as advised by the Department of Health.
Deferrals accepted.
If you applied in the previous year and your application was not successful you may apply again. Your application will be considered against the standard course entry criteria for that year of entry.
In your new application you should demonstrate how your application has improved. We may draw upon all information from your previous applications or any previous registrations at the University as a student when assessing your suitability for your chosen course. If you are applying for a place for the same year of entry through UCAS Extra, you should provide additional evidence of your suitability for the course. If you are applying through clearing you are required to meet the clearing requirements. In both UCAS Extra and clearing the places will be subject to availability.
Course details

UK and EU students have their fees paid in full by the NHS (subject to confirmation). UK Healthcare Students can apply for a grant in addition to the means-tested bursary. For more information visit:

NHS careers financial support
(NHS website)
We are proud to have a number of award winning leaders in Speech and Language Therapy education. A number of our staff hold fellowships from the Higher Education Academy.
Here at The University of Manchester we have P rofessor Gina Conti-Ramsden
who has an international reputation for her research into child language, and Professor Matt Lambon Ralph
who is a leader in research into the neural bachelorsis of conceptual knowledge and language processes. We are also privileged to host the Manchester Auditory IMastert Team (a multidisciplinary team).
The University of Manchester is a large research-oriented university with excellent facilities to support you in your studies. The John Rylands University Library is one of the largest academic libraries in the UK and houses over five million books, journals and periodicals. It also holds the widest range of electronic resources of any UK Higher Education library.
The Speech and Language Therapy course has its own resource room which is continually updated to incorporate the most commonly used clinical assessment and intervention materials in the field. The School also has dedicated technical support with rooms available for preparation of presentations and video or audiotape analyses. The University has large numbers of PCs in clusters across the campus including Manchester Computing Centre, the library and in Halls of Residence. There is a successful peer mentoring system in place for 1st year students. Regular contact is offered from SLT student mentors to offer support and advice on varied aspects of student life in Manchester.
Practical support and advice for current students and applicants from the Disability Support Office

The Health and Care Professions Council also have some guidance for prospective students for health professions course, it is entitled A disabled person's guide to becoming a health professional
(PDF 232KB)
Speech and language therapists in the UK are mainly employed by the NHS, although there are opportunities within charitable and private organisations. Many therapists work in educational settings and some set up in independent practice or take research posts. There are also opportunities overseas.
This degree has been approved by the Health and Care Professions Council
(HCPC) for regulatory purposes. Thus, if you graduate, you will be eligible to apply for registration with the HCPC to become a member of the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists
Este curso está en español. Traducir al inglés